The Greek Welfare Centre of South Australia – St Philothei (GWC) began its activities at Port Pirie and Mid North region of South Australia on Sunday, August 23, 2020.
As one of the primary philanthropic organs of the Archdiocesan District of Adelaide, the GWC’s area of operation encompasses all of South Australia.
As reported by vema.com.au, established in 1924, the Church of St George, Port Pirie, is the oldest Orthodox Church in South Australia, and one of the oldest in Australia. The Greek Orthodox Community of Port Pirie has a long history of glorifying God in Orthodox worship, and of serving their local community.
In late 2019, the federal government offered some funding to extend its entry-level home-support program for the elderly (“CHSP”) to targeted areas. One such area was Port Pirie and the Mid North. With the blessing of Bishop Silouan of Sinope, the Greek Welfare Center had been successful in securing funding. After delays in receiving the funding, followed by further COVID-19-induced delays, the GWC is finally in a position to start rolling out these services.
The launch of GWC was marked with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy presided by Bishop Silouan of Sinope at St. George Church.